Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Finding a healthy weight is a confusing matter

As you probably know, my personal goal weight is 136 pounds. This is what I weighed prior to my two pregnancies. Once I hit 147 pounds (5 pounds away), I will weigh what I did at the start of my second pregnancy. I believe the mid-130's to be a good range for me.

However, out of curiosity, I decided to see what other websites recommended as a healthy weight (or range) for someone my size. I'm 5'6", medium frame. The results were varied, and interesting.

Weight Watchers: 124-155
Health Check Systems: 130-144
Changing Shape: 130 (ideal weight)
Halls: 118-155
Halls: 135 (ideal weight)
Met Life Tables: 133-147

Well, good night talk about confusing!! The total range here is 118-155, a range of 37 pounds. I understand they're accounting for various frames, but you can see why it's a tricky business to sort through.

Any way you slice it, I'm at the upper range of the recommendations or beyond them. I think my goal is a good one based on these numbers overall and based on my past experience being at my ideal weight. Interesting though, huh?

1 comment:

Lara Robinson said...

Well those sites sure didn't help! I've had two pregnancies as well, and here's what I figured out. Your body will pretty much tell you what it wants to weigh, and what feels good. keep eating healthy and get to a point where your exercise is stable. You'll KNOW when you're done losing weight. Sometimes I drop a few pounds and I can really feel it. I feel positively bony (maybe this is an exaggeration, but that's the word that comes to mind). When I keep my weight in a certain range, I have the right amount of energy and calorie reserves.