Sunday, February 21, 2010

My great 4-mile run this afternoon!



Today was a beautiful Spring-like day in the Northwest. I say "Spring-like" because it felt like Spring in every sense except the calendar tells me otherwise!

I headed out in short sleeves and shorts and hit the local elementary school track. Feeling energized, I started out great and ran my first mile in 10:00! Such an improvement from my running pace of 12:00 a couple months ago.

I noticed I was feeling pretty out of breath, so I slowed it up a bit and ran the second mile closer to 10:30. Overall my pace felt strong and consistent. The last two laps I heard a runner approach and then pass me. I don't know what it was - my pride or a healthy sense of competition, but I decided I needed to pass her. So I picked it up and ended those last two laps at the 10:00 pace!

I'm particularly proud of this run given that I had not one, but TWO encounters with Jillian Michaels yesterday. In the morning I'd done 30-Day Shred (Level 1), and in the evening, I attempted (and finished!) her No More Trouble Zones workout. While I love and swear by Shred, I was looking for something new to spice things up, and this was the ticket.

Here's a recap of how I worked out last week.

Monday: Shred, Level 3
Tuesday: 25 minutes running intervals, 25 minutes ski machine, 10 minutes ab
Wednesday: Shred, Level 3
Thursday: OFF
Friday: OFF
Saturday: Shred, Level 1 (AM); No More Trouble Zones - 40 minute workout (PM)
Sunday: 4 mile run - hard!

I would've liked to have had one more cardio session, but overall I fell really good about this! For weeks now, I've consistently worked out at least 5 days a week, something I haven't done in a LONNNNGGGG time. Let's hope the scale budges for me tomorrow - I'm ready to meet my goal of 149 pounds and leave the 150's behind!

Photo credit Mee Lin Woon

2 comments:

Kerrie T. said...

Great job! Doesn't it feel nice to improve? Love it!

Lara Robinson said...

Excellent run, and good for you to ramp up the speed and pass that runner! A little healthy competition keeps it interesting!